Sunday 28 April 2013

Making the Grade

I want to begin by thanking the six of you in Comp who have helped me learn so much about learning and motivation. Your efforts (and sometimes your lack of effort ;-) have helped me begin to see the exciting possibilities of reorganizing and repurposing a class. I also have been less organized and polished than I would typically be in a class, and I thank you for focusing on the positive results and embracing the messiness that accompanies first attempts, trial and error, and collaboration. If I've learned one thing well, this semester, it is that I have a lot more to learn (and that really excites me instead of scares me)!

Endless grading of term papers
photo by joguldi
My learning log this week looks at assessment. I've learned that a single percentage grade that comes from me alone is not an adequate response to the work you've done, even if it is accompanied by comments. You deserve better and more frequent feedback from a greater number of sources. Your blogs have provided some of this, but we can do better. Your voice must be a more important factor in the assessment process, both individually and collectively. I'm learning about how to make these ideas a reality in our classes.

Below I've included an excerpt of a course description from one of Dean Shareski's classes. He's a professor at the University of Regina. Some of his students determine eighty percent of their mark. You can check out the entire sample, but I'd really like some feedback on one section: Social Learning. I'm really invested in community building, as you know, so this section really resonates with me and seems important. I also think it is undervalued and underrepresented in our assessment at school.

Here's where you come in. I'd like some feedback on the social learning section. What are your reactions to having part of your mark depend on how you benefitted from and contributed to the learning of others? Can you think of specific things you've learned from someone else in your class this semester? Have you contributed to anyone else's learning? Please, leave your thoughts in the comments section below.

Assessment Sample from Dean Shareski

Tech Tasks
A simple summary and assessment about the quality, consistency and timeliness of your work. Grade yourself between 20-30% percent of the course.
Blogs
Grade yourself between 15-25% Use a rubric or your own standard based your favorite blogs. Be sure to reference the criteria discussed on the course assignment page.
Mentorship
This will be a challenging one for some of you but the core of this will be your interview with your mentoring teacher. I would like a report that highlights your involvement as well. Grade yourself between 20-30%
Social Learning
This will be about a one page report answering the 2 questions: What did I contribute to the learning of others? and What did I learn from others? 10-20%
Final Reflection
This will be a media presentation of your learning. We’ll talk more about the format of this next week. This will be the only assignment that I’ll grade exclusively. You decide between its value between 10-20%

6 comments:

  1. This sample I think would work very well. I am a little confused on what you mean by the blog section, but otherwise it looks like this will work the well for this type of project.
    Are we going to evaluate our classmates on their projects? If so, how are we going to do that.

    Corrine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take 2
    OK, umm I think that this is a good idea because then it makes us think about what we have done to help each other and what we have learned about each others projects and their interests in what they love to do. I am not sure how much I could write on the first question but on the second question I could probably write quite a bit, but overall it would give us a chance to show that we actually listened and took part in the presentations.

    Corrine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that this marking style will be different but also, come to think of it, this whole class is different from the rest so it fits perfectly I think. I especially like that there is a mark for every different thing we have done in this class. I think it could work out, and possibly for the better. Usually when people mark themselves they tend to give lower marks than higher marks, but that is just something they would have to overcome, in order to get a decent final grade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok so I think those are some good ideas on how to grade us, but I also feel like a lot of them wouldnt work too well. For example, the mentorship interview wouldn't really work for me in particular since I have been only referencing websites and figuring it out on my own (key part to my project).

    I don't really understand how the Blog grading part is supposed to work...

    Other than that I think this is good. Although I like the idea of it mainly being you (the teacher) grading and the students only contributing input and thoughts to help with your grading process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this idea of assessment is a good idea. However, I also think that the first question would be hard to answer without having a time to disscuss it all together, because we don't always tell people, or even fully reconize it when we learn from people. The second question I think would be easier to do. Overall I think it is a good idea though, but I think we need to add some in-class reflection time.

    Cassy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think being assessed on how we as a class have influenced each others learning is a great idea. A class period where we discuss a topic and everyone participates with different opinions are without a doubt my favourite classes. I enjoy learning from my peers, and if anything I say or do is helpful to someone else's learning then it should be accounted for in our 'final grade' which is supposed to assess what we are capable of, and how we've grown as students. The idea of social learning to me is a step away from assessing what we've memorized, and a step towards looking at how we understand, and if we are able to assist in a class mates understanding.

    Owen

    ReplyDelete